Friday 31 December 2010

ITALERI ANTI TANK OBSTACLES PART II,

Hello all,

This is part II of the new Italeri obstacles as promised.
Yes I know the metal traps belong on a beach but I could not wait and that's for the next dio anyway.
 The figure is from my mate Cole in the states and he is from the Caesar WWII US Infantry set 2,
I had no plans for this base or figure for this era painted, so when this fellow turned up in the post,(ready painted) it was a god send.So a big thanks Cole I am working on something for you in a way of thanks.
 I should have have cut one of the dragons teeth up and placed them on the edges to make it look a bit more even, but I was in a rush (again) and wanted to get it posted.
 The metal traps are in two pieces and went together very well and are the best looking type of trap I have seen.
I have been getting into Revell acrylics lately, because for larger jobs it is cheaper and gives a better finish.Vallejo metal paint does not give a good finish compared to Revell.

I used iron/steel colour, with a black Vallejo wash.
A good brushing of a mix of MiG standard rust and black smoke for the rusting.
 This German staff officer is from Caesar German army with greatcoats, He is screaming Rommel to me and I might have to visit Battalions and hordes and get myself another one.Give him a black leather trench coat over looking the Atlantic wall.
The other dragons teeth had just a medium sea grey, then MiG pigment concrete and dry brushed with silver grey.
The base is a photo frame with florist foam either side to make a small embankment.This was covered in PVA glue and sand.The bloody glue soaked into the foam so I had to work fast.I pushed the dragons teeth into the glue and moved on to the sand and gravel.The sand covered the all of the dio and the road got some more gravel,bigger bits made the Central bit of the road/track.
Then came the painting, and good covering of Revell brown earth followed by a good dry brushing of Vallejo Iraqi sand.The grass is the Silfor special that I normally use, but it does look the nuts.Anyone can make a half descent dio using it,just look at these pictures.Makes any old pony look good.
I used a mix of silfor grasses and plants to give a feel of depth,If it's anything like my garden there should be wilder beast crossing it and BBC wildlife film crew covering it!

I am chuffed with this one and you will no doubt be seeing it with various tanks and trucks on it for photos so I apologise now!
ANY COMMENTS OR TIPS WELCOME, & PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGES FOR A LARGER VIEW!

I WISH YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM RICH,CLAIRE, & ALEX.

6 comments:

Paul said...

Nice job Rich, that chap does resemble the desert Fox doesnt he!

All the best for 2011.

Regards Paul

mork6969 said...

It looks really good. I like especially the painting of the metall traps.

Best wishes for 2011!
Mork

Anonymous said...

Good groundwork Rich.

Happy new year to you too!

Bartender said...

You make soil look interesting! Love the patches of grass sporadically strewn over the diorama.

Tarih1964 said...

Bets wishes fro 2011!

And thanks for the photos while I am waiting for my own Italeri ATO's!

Great work, but the rifle of the soldier is sloping, thats why I dont like the Caesars figures.

Thanos said...

Great work there Rich!
Besides the obstacles (which look great), the groundwork looks fantastic too!!
T.