Friday 18 March 2011

AIRFIX HENSCHELL Hs.123A-1 SPANISH CIVIL WAR 1/72.

 Hello all,

I will never learn drinking beer and building models do not mix!!!!8 beers and decals do not go together.More on that later.
This model was tempting me in the model shop and for £3.99 you couldn't go wrong.I saw Paul's mate Dave's go at this kit on his blog while doing a bit of research.A very nice build too!
 The build was quite good on this plane. It has only 38 pieces and must be a new or improved mould because 99% was bang on.A little bit of flash and a couple of sink holes on one of the bombs but that's was hidden anyway so bonus.
 
The engine block didn't quite fit but I will put this down to me.The wings all fitted together well and didn't collapse like normal.

I decided to go with the the Spanish civil war paint scheme for something different rather than the German world war two option.I tried a different way of painting by masking off bits for a straighter edge.
This is where eight bottles of beer go a bit off plan.I decided to finish off the planes decals after a night on the sauce,so just before I went to bed I thought I would  put the decals on.All was going well and I was just putting on the last decal on the fuselage when  I dropped the f#$ker!!!I should of just let it fall the 1 and a half foot to the carpeted floor but like a tit I grabbed the bloody thing and scrunched up the decal.The number seven could not be saved and the black circle is more egg shaped.

There a lot of other bits I missed like painting both sides of the wing tips white, I missed the radio wire,the tail decals don't match up and I could have painted it straight but I was well and truly pissed by this point and thought better of it after juggling the plane.
All in all I am chuffed with this little plane, a different era for me and the problems can be fixed.

PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGES FOR A LARGER VIEW AND ANY COMMENTS MORE THAN WELCOME.

Cheers for looking,     Rich.

12 comments:

Tim Gow said...

The Hs123 has always been a favourite of mine - but until recently I have never owned one! Wg Cdr Luddite is building it (a 1/144 metal kit) at the moment.

Paul´s Bods said...

I wouldn´t worry too much about the decals....you could od a bit of wear and tear effects on them, weather them a bit or just think that insignia was sometimes put on freehand.
It´s a bi-plane...and I like it. I might have a bash at a WWII Bi-plane soon.
Cheers
Paul

Paul said...

Hi Rich, Paul is right, it looks very nice from here.

Good show, you can always ask Al about some super decal stories.

Al said...

Cool, I've looked at getting one of these for ages

Anonymous said...

Good work.

Paul´s Bods said...

And if you really want to be a slave to exactness...download some decals..re-size em using word...bloody easy..import pic and resize and print...then use wood glue and stick the buggers on. (after cutting them out first...I think the plane might look a bit odd with a dirty great sheet of A4 stuck to it :-D
Cheers
paul

west1871 said...

Mind you though a bloody great bit of A4 would be great camo for a bombing raid on WH Smiths!

peter said...

It looks better as when I should have drunk 8 beers :-D
Great work Rich :-D
Cheers
Peter

Dux Homunculorum said...

Very nice mate! Well worth a celebratory pint.

mork6969 said...

I like it, esppecially the spanish camo scheme! Never mind these decals...it looks good as it is!

FalkeEins said...

nice to see these 'golden oldies' back in action again...cool looking model as well!

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Yes, I have this one lined up to do too

Nice model :)

I think the SCW version is the one to do